Monday, September 27, 2010

HEALTHY Baby Girl

HEALTHY Baby Girl!!!
Life can change so fast!
Last Wednesday we received a phone call from my Doctor, that the AFP blood test I had taken a week before came back positive. This means the baby has an increased risk for down syndrome.
There is about a 5% chance of a false positive. We began praying for a false positive test!!!

Thursday, we spent the day at the University of Utah Hospital. First, they did an ultrasound. Then we met with a Genetic Counselor, who went over the results. Everything in the ultrasound looked good, with the exception that the femur bone looked a bit short (another sign of down syndrome). After a couple hours of counseling, we decided to do an amniocentesis. I was so nervous!!! So nervous!!! The thought of having a needle poked into my stomach was so scary to me. The risk of miscarriage is also an issue for 72 hours following the procedure.

For the past 3 days I have been resting from the amnio. It was the longest weekend of our lives!
We have been awaiting the test results from the FISH Amniocentesis, which is 99.9% accurate!
The results came back this morning that our baby Girl is HEALTHY!!!
No sign of down syndrome or any other chromosome abnormality in this diagnostic test!

Thank you everyone for helping with our girls, all of the meals,
and most of all for all of the prayers!
We have felt the prayers and love of so many of you!
We have also felt our Heavenly Father's love, and are
so grateful for this healthy baby girl!!!
We continue to hope and pray for the best!

6 comments:

  1. what wonderful news! Yeah for a healthy baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lori, I bet you've had a roller coaster of emotions this weekend. Emotional experiences can be hard for prego ladies...I'm sorry you had to go though it. I'm so glad you have lots of close support and also that your next little girl is healthy and well!! I hope you pregnancy and delivery goes smoothly!
    : )
    Diana H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so happy that you got such happy news! You guys were in our thoughts and prayers all weekend! We are super excited for another little Derrick Diva! Take care and please let me know if I can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy she's healthy. This happened to me with Erin. I know all the feelings and so, can relate. Since I was already at risk for miscarriage, we decided not to do the amnio. We would love her whether or not she had Down's right? But I've gotta tell you those six months of waiting were pretty tough. That's fun you're having another girl!! What a fun blessing to have four girls!! Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stressful time. So comforting that we have the gospel in our lives and the knowledge of prayer and especially priesthood blessings. Glad to hear your little baby girl is growing as she should. You guys know how to do cute girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a scary time! I'm glad things are look great! Yay for another healthy little girl! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete